Sunday, September 12, 2010

Help, I'm Turning Into My Mother

I've turned into my mother. I thought it would never happen or at least not this soon in my life, but it has. It's happening at work and at home. I used to tease my mother because she did most of her cleaning on the weekends. Some of it got done on Thursday nights, but the rest was either Friday evening or Saturday morning. I always figured I'd do mine during the week so I could enjoy my weekend, but last weekend, first real weekend in the new place, do you think I enjoyed my Saturday morning? Oh, no, I decided that would be a great time to wash the floors and clean the sinks. Just call me Bonnie. At work, I now find myself saying things to the kids that my mother used to say to me. I.e. a student whined at me and in an annoying whiny voice I told her not to whine like that because it was annoying (the same way my mother used to do it!). I'm blanking on another concrete example at the moment, but on several ocassions in the past month I've found myself saying oh, gosh, I sound like my mother. I've also been on the look out for holiday decorations whenever I'm at a store or today at the craft section of the seafood fest. My mother decorates BIG TIME for all the holidays: I'm not just talking Christmas and Halloween people. I think she has a Flag Day decoration. Don't get me wrong, Mom is a lovely person, but really, do I have to start acting/talking like her? Next thing you know I'll be baking cookies every Saturday and letter-boxing all around New England.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

The other day I walked around the house turning all the lights off and mumbling about Spencer wasting electricity. Then I realized that I have not, in fact, turned into my mother because I have turned into my father. And then I was horrified.

Cat said...

Good point, I suppose it would be worse if I turned into my father. I almost caught myself saying something he says at work today, but I stopped myself in time...