Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Potholes: Excuse 32 for not exercising

Let me preface this by saying I'm NOT an exercise nut nor am I someone who needs a ton of motivation to go to the gym and comes up with many excuses not to go (though I do think of some from time to time).  Usually I work out 5-6 times a week, on a good week, I get all 7 days.  I wouldn't say I like working out.  I mean it's more fun than cleaning the shower, driving in the snow, eating peas (I hate peas), doing my taxes, etc, but I'd certainly pick traveling, watching a movie, reading a book, going out with my friends, etc over exercise if I had the choice.  But alas I am not a fit size zero (nor even close) so I've made exercising a habit--it took a while, but it's there.  Usually if I don't exercise it's because a) there's a snowstorm and the roads are bad, though sometimes if that happens, I'll just workout at home; b) I'm out of town on vacation; c) I'm legit busy (like I had to work late or had to go to some meeting) or d) I'm sick--though truth be told there have been times I probably should have stayed home drinking oj and having cough drops instead of trying to burn calories.  But I'm getting carried away so let's get to the point of this blog.  Yesterday morning I drove to the gym.  Now it's bad enough that a row and a half of parking is gone because they put all the snow there; why they can't combine it into just a few parking spaces is beyond me.  Thankfully, I'm on vacation this week so I could go in the morning instead of during "peek time" because goodness knows if I'd find a space then.   Now before one get can to the limited parking one has to play "which pot hole do I want to eat my car today?"  I'm not kidding.  In this day and age where we can do so many wonderful things, why can we NOT find a way to fix pot holes and keep them fixed.  If you try to avoid one pot hole, you hit another because they take up the whole lane entering the gym parking lot.  So while I may be fit after this winter because I'm doing better with my exercising, my car may not be so "fit."  Too bad getting fit doesn't keep your car fit.  Speaking of being fit, in addition to my regular exercise routine, I'm trying this new week long work out plan.  Man, there are some tough moves out there.  I exercise my legs a lot, but my legs and shoulders are killing me.  I've decided I do not like burpees or mountain climbers.  I semi like the wall sit, but OUCH.  Oh, and  I still stink at push-ups.  Today's work-out involved yoga.  I can't wait to find out where I'll be sore tomorrow.  ay ay ay.  I believe tomorrow's focuses on abs...Stay fit and watch out for those pot holes everyone! 

No comments: