Saturday, March 22, 2014

Frosting Here, Frosting There, Frosting Everywhere--except on the cupcakes


As you saw in the last blog, I made many foods for my St. Pat's party.  I made a couple of things ahead of time and froze them (the bread and the mint chocolate brownies).  For the week leading up to my St. Pat's party, I tried to make one thing each night so I wouldn't be scrambling at the last minute. Certainly, some things would have to be made at the last minute, but the chocolate balls and fruit dip I could do early.  On Wednesday night (the party was on Friday), I made green velvet cupcakes.  I figured I'd make the frosting then too, but wait 'til the next day to frost the cupcakes.  So I made the frosting and thought what the heck it was almost 10:00 and I usually stay up 'til 10:30, might as well frost a few cupcakes now and I can do the rest tomorrow.  It's too late to do much else.  So I began to frost some cupcakes with white frosting (I planned to do the green ones the next day).  I'm not entirely sure what happened next, but as I went to unplug the mixer and move the bowl somehow the mixer cord hit the bowl...and the bowl (full of frosting) fell...and shattered (it was plastic not glass thankfully, but still).  It was now after 10:00 on a work night and I had a lovely mess of frosting to clean off my floor, cabinets, and counters.  Not to mention cleaning up broken pieces of bowl.  When I finally got that all cleaned up, I decided I would CAREFULLY make more frosting, but alas, I didn't have enough confectioners sugar left.  So now I had wasted all those ingredients, lost a bowl, only frosted a couple of cupcakes, and clearly not going to be in bed at a reasonable hour. 
Long story short, I bought sugar the next day after work and did manage to make frosting and frost cupcakes without breaking anything else.  Still didn't get to bed on time, but the frosting sure tasted good. 

No comments: