Thursday, August 30, 2012

Can You Get There From Here?

Working for a half day, doing some last minute packing, and then getting on a red eye flight does "wonders" for a person's sleep.  I don't know why, but I just cannot seem to sleep on airplanes, even when I'm tired, which I certainly was by the time I got on my connecting flight in NYC to go to Iceland.  I did manage to doze a bit here and there, but could not get comfortable enough to fall alseep (perhaps it partially due to the fact that I was stuck in the dreaded middle seat). Sure enough, I was mighty tired when I got to Iceland.  So I mentioned the Blue Lagoon in a previous post, well, after Blue Lagoon, we boarded a bus to our hotel.  We didn't think we were going to get to our hotel because the bus went back to a transfer station, then to the airport, then back to the transfer station, before finally heading to our hotel.  We kept thinking, are we on the right bus?  Will it really take us to our hotel or will we keep going back to the same places (earlier we'd taken this same bus from the airport to the Blue Lagoon).  Anyway, we did finally get on a smaller van at a transfer stop and that took us to our hotel (which btw was great, staff was SO nice and helpful, if you ever go to Iceland, I'd be glad to suggest a hotel to you).  We checked in, went upstairs, and I was so excited to collapse on my bed.  I'm not normally a big napper, but I set the alarm, and fell asleep almost immediately (also unsual for me) and slept soundly for just over an hour.  Then it was time to get ready and head down to the hotel restaurant for a quick dinner before doing a 5 hour evening tour (because that is "smart" planning after just taking a red eye flight and needing to be on the road at 8:30 the following day). Food in Iceland is good, but it's expensive.  I had a salad and it was $10.  The salad was a bit different from salads at home, but it was good (for $10 it better be).  Then it was off to The Golden Circle, which will most likely be my next blog post.  :-)  And I will post pictures. 

No comments: