Monday, August 13, 2012

More Reasons Not to Enjoy Painting

I don't like painting.  Okay, that's not entirely true, I do like those paint your own pottery projects and I've painted a few crafts here and there over the years, and that's kind of fun.  But painting anything in my home?  NO THANK YOU!  When I bought my current home, I painted cabinets, the kitchen, one of the bathrooms, two closets, closet doors, another door, and siding (oh, just thinking about that one still makes me feel ill).  Over the course of a few months, I hired someone to do the bedrooms, the stairway wall, the living room, and the rest of the siding (just thinking about the price of that last one also makes me a little ill).  So once all of these projects were done, I had NO desire to paint anything in here again.  Unfortunately, some previous owner once decided to paint over the upstairs brown trim and baseboards with white paint.  Let's just say in some spots, it looked AWFUL.  You could totally still see the brown.  I've dealt with this for two years and never lost sleep over it or anything, but it's always been on my mental list of house projects to do.  I've found reasons not to do it (being busy, being lazy, not having money for paint, doing other cleaning projects, instead), but eventually, I decided, I needed to get this done.  I promised myself I would do it this summer.  I procrastinated a while, but finally one day I found some motivation and decided this would be the weekend I'd do it.  And a couple of Fridays ago, that's what I did.  I had Fridays off in July and August so one Friday at the end of July, I actually woke up a little after 8:00am and decided today I will paint.  I set everything up and the painting began.  Unfortunately, three hours later, it was nearly done, but I'd dripped on me, the floor (which came up easily), the carpet (which didn't come up so easily), and the stepstool (some came off that easily, some is still there).  I also (stupidly) decided to paint the trim around the downstairs bathroom door and the baseboards in the entryway.  That all came out okay, but I dripped way too much on the floor.  Thank goodness for sponges, nail polish remover, etc.  I never wanted to paint again, but I knew I'd have to touch up a few spots later in the weekend.  It took some serious work to get some of the paint off me, but work I did as I was going to a wedding the next day and didn't want to be covered in paint.  I was busy all day Sunday including Sunday night so Monday I spent about an hour or two (including setting up and cleaning up) touching up the spots that needed to be touched up.  I'm definitely not a good (or neat) painter, but I think I covered up the brown pretty well.  Unfortunately, I once again dripped paint on the floor, my flipflops, the stepstool, and me.  :-/  But it's DONE.

No comments: