Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Day 10 A Little Learning and A Little Drinking (And a Long Search for Food)

Day 10 started off a bit rough.  We had a "field trip" that day and while the first place itself was interesting and the food was good, I confess that the three lectures there did not hold my attention terribly well.  One was okay, one was less okay, and one just didn't interest me.  I don't mean to be rude, but it was not what I thought it would be and it wasn't particularly relevant to the other coursework we've done.  We visited a former Irish workhouse, which was interesting to see (sad to think about, but interesting nonetheless). I would have liked more info on the workhouse and more time to explore and less time to listen to lectures on other topics, but obviously that is not my decision to make.  Anyway, we had lunch there (and a snack too--the carrot cake snack was fabulous!) after the lectures then headed off to our next stop.  (The staff there was also very nice.)
  A short ride later, we arrived at Clonmacnoise Monstastic Settlement, which was quite interesting.  Our guide was good and the sun even came out for a little while.  At one point I had on sunglasses and the hood to my rain jacket and yes, I really needed both at the same time.  Oh, Ireland.  Your weather is certainly never boring.  We watched a short film, toured around a bit with our guide, then had a few minutes to shop before heading back home (by home I mean the dorms, I've been here long enough that I've started calling it home).  We had dinner, changed, and got ready for a night out in Galway.  I can't properly spell the name of the first bar we went to, but the first word started with a T and the second word started with a C so I've been calling it TCs.  Had a drink there (Orchard Thieves Cider is my drink of choice over here), then I believe we wanted to grab some food next because two of the guys with us had not had dinner yet.  We tried to go to one restaurant, but they told us they were low on food and they could NOT serve us because they had to give priority to the people who had reservations at 9.  Okay.  Fair enough I guess, but really you're a restaurant, it's a Saturday night, why are you running out of food?  On to another restaurant, nope, they are no longer serving food.  Seriously?  So we went some place else that was closed.  UGH!  Finally found what Jen jokingly called Irish Chipotle because the food was similiar to Chipotle.  I've never been to a Chipotle so I can't confirm or deny, but they had food and Backstreet Boys came on when we were in line and the whole place (staff and customers and us too) started singing.  The boys were able to get a meal.  The girls who wanted Nachos got their Nachos and the rest of us happily enjoyed snacks.  Then it was off to The Quays for some drinks and music.  That was good, but it got crowded so we headed to Monroe's where we danced (and drank) 'til after 2am.  Yikes!  The music was really good.  Been a long time since I stayed at a bar 'til 2 am.  It was a good time though, but that too got crowded late in the night so I was content to leave when we did.  A few people stayed past 3--Impressive!




No comments: