Saturday, July 9, 2016

Day Two: Good-bye Sense of Direction

In all honesty, I shouldn't really say good-bye to my sense of direction because I never really had one, but it's nice to pretend.  Friday (I think) was our first full day in Galway. Despite trying to get some sleep, I didn't sleep particularly well that night before, but such is life.  Our first class wasn't early, which was nice since we needed time to find our way there--we made it, on time even, but we left quite early to do so.  Three of the ladies I'd met in the program invited me up for breakfast so I went up there and had toast, scrambled eggs, and juice with them.  It was delicious and a nice way to start the day.  Then a whole big group of us somehow managed to find our way to the university.  It's at least a 20 minute walk (don't believe the website which I swear somewhere said 10 minutes and I often walk fast, though I wasn't speeding along too much that day).  Got to the univeristy and some people wanted coffee so we made a coffee stop and then it was off to our first class.  The first class was good. It was mostly an introduction to the program.  Then we had a lunch break.  I just ate in the school cafeteria--it's like being in college again ha ha then went to our next lecture, which was really interesting, but LOTS of information. I feel like there could have been a whole course on that.  It was comparing education systems in Ireland to education systems in the US.  I was intrigued--yep, I'm that dorky.  Class didn't go too late the first day.  We headed into town that evening for dinner with the whole class at a pizza/Italian place.  It was good.  My pizza had a salad in the middle of it, it may sound strange, but I enjoyed it.  We also had these "famous" dough bites for an appetizer.  They came with some sort of garlic butter.  They were delicious!  After dinner, one of the ladies in the program and I started to head back to our dorm.  We clearly took the scenic route because we got lost.  We eventually found our way to a cathedral and from there we were able to get to the college and from there to the dorms.  I'm sure there was a more direct route, but you know why do that? I cannot be left alone in this city.  I'll never find my way (I'm writing this a few days after this day happened so spolier alert there are more getting lost stories to come--hence why I never go out alone) .  I did get over 18,000 steps though so my Fitbit should love me right now.  :-)  Until next time, cheers.  I'd write the Irish version, but I don't know how to spell it and it's bed time.

No comments: