Saturday, July 23, 2016

Day 13 Come to My Window (and Just Call Me Juliet)

Day 13 was another day of class.  Our group presented our project and it went fairly well.  My plan for the evening was to make enough progress on my paper that I would feel comfortable going out with my friends to a bar called Monroes that we seemed to be frequenting.  Holy run on sentence.  I did eventually make progress, but it took some time. First there was laundry to do and the washing machine did not cooperate.  The security guard came and pushed a magic button and it worked.  A bit more typing of the paper.  Then there were various visitors running errands and stopping by my window to see if I wanted anything.  Let me explain:  My dorm room is on the first floor and my window faces the exit everyone uses to get to the gate so pretty much I can spy on them ha ha.  No, seriously, I often see who is coming and going if I am sitting at my desk because it is so close to the window.  On those now not quite so rare occasions when it is not raining, my window will be open and I'll yell out to my friends or they will pop their heads in and say hi--there are no screens on the windows.  So I was planning to make dinner at home that night, but I was getting a little sick of pasta--I had bought a box and had been making it the past few nights.  Maura told me about these meals at the grocery store that are put together right there--a fish/meat/chicken with veggies and potatoes on the side.  They were reasonably priced too.  So I was going to go to the store with Maura, but laundry troubles caused me to not want to go because then I'd be late to get my clothes out of the dryer and since there was a shortage of washing machines and dryers, I didn't want to hold anyone up or find my underwear scattered around the laundry room.  So Maura offered to get me a meal and bring it back since she was going anyway.  Sounded good to me.  It cost me 4 Euro and it was so big I couldn't finish it. The only bad thing was the vegetable was peas.  I do NOT like peas.  I managed to only accidentally eat one.  Also that night, Susan stopped by to say hi and ask if I needed anything at the store.  Rewind for a minute here:  Paper typing is taking place between each visit, but there is still much to do.  Maura returns with my food, but I have no idea how to work the oven.  Kristin is outside and offers help through the kitchen window and then Chris comes by and offers additional help.  I semi sort out the oven situation, but cannot find an oven mitt so wonder how I will take the food out without burning myself.  Back to typing.  Kerry comes by at some point and I tell him about all the visitors and he nicknames me Juliet and jokes that I am on my balcony talking to everyone.  He also does not have an oven mitt nor does anyone else so at Kristin's suggestion I use a towel.  Laundry finishes.  Paper is over 2/3 done.  Later, we go to Monroe's for a drink and to watch some dancing.  Sadly, I did not go right to bed when I got home.  I worked on my paper until around 1am.  UGH!   Oh, well, I made progress at least.  And I earned a new nickname.  And sorry for typing half of that in the present tense and half in the past tense.  What kind of English major was I?  (Actually, I did quite well in my major.). Here is a pic of our confusing oven.   And the delicious donut I had the day before.  I was told I must try them, but forgot to post.




No comments: