Friday, July 29, 2016

Day 19 A Long, but Enjoyable Day

Not gonna lie, the thought of getting up before 6:30am to go to some random island did not appeal to me.  Thankfully, the weather turned out to be lovely (I've started overusing that word since I've been here. In a minute I'm going to start saying cheers, brilliant, and firstly.  I love the accents over here!)  Anyway, got up EARLY after not enough sleep and headed to school to board a bus to some small town to board a boat to an island called Inishbofin.  It's a small island with gorgeous views.  The boat ride was a little bumpy, but we made it safely and then walked up to one of the three (I think) hotels on the island and had scones and coffee/tea or in my case scones and water.  Then it was off to explore the island for several hours.  I was so mad that my Fitbit battery died an hour into the walk.  Ugh!  Anyway, we walked a lot.  We got to the island around 11 I think and it was after 2:30 by the time we got back to the hotel for lunch.  Our guide had been our guide once before.  He was a grumpy, funny man.  Very knowledgeable.  We had a leisurely lunch--I tried the vegetarian lasagna because I'd been having too much fish and chips, though given that it was an island, I probably should have had some sort of fish--my dish was fine though.  Then I gave in and I tried the sticky toffee pudding for dessert.  Yum!  On the way back to the boat, we saw a car with Texas license plates.  Explain that one.  There are few things on the island:  a primary school, a couple of hotels, a hostel, a store, a community center, and not much else besides houses.  Yet, somehow someone manages to bring their car over from Texas.  I would love to hear that story.  A smoother boat ride back to the mainland, back on the bus, and then home to the dorms.  Read the paper one last time then submitted it.  Went out for drinks with some friends afterwards to celebrate the completion of our papers.  Yay!

















Above is a memorial to two American students who drowned in this area.  Below is peat.





No comments: