Thursday, July 29, 2010

Food, Rocks, Food, Science, Oh, and Did I Mention Food?




So we've gone from painting to toilets back to Arizona in blogland. Day three in Arizona was filled with food, perhaps too much food--real food, rock food, and and a visit to yet another grocery store. We went to a mineral and mining museum and I don't think we were wanted as the woman selling the tickets did not want to wait on us. Talking to her co-workers was much more exciting than helping us, but whatever. Anyway, since it was only $2.00 to get in, I guess I shouldn't complain about sub-par service. I'm not wicked into rocks, but I have to say there were some cool rocks there; I especially liked the rocks that looked like food. I'm not kidding, they looked like a full out meal (kind of hard to see in the pic, but trust me on this one). Post rocks, we went out for lunch then went to a Science Center, which was fun. Spencer enjoyed flying a plane, sitting on a plane, a swing, and playing with a child who thought he was a "nice boy." We all enjoyed the weather exhibit and I found the exhibit that explained why we react to scary things pretty cool because I'm afraid of everything.
Following the Science Center, we stopped at a grocery store on the way home because one of the underlying themes of this trip was to visit as many grocery stores in the area as possible. (I didn't actually get to go in this one because I stayed in the car with Spencer while Natalie ran in to grab one thing so I'm not sure if that counts as a visit.) Unintentionally, Natalie ended up taking me to several different grocery stores during my stay in Arizona so that became a big joke on the trip. After our grocery store stop, we headed back to Natalie's house only to get yelled at by a police officer because we were waiting for a light to turn green and he yelled at us and told us it wasn't working and that we were supposed to just go--well who knew! If we had gone, he probably would have yelled at us for running a red light. Anyway, once we got back to Natalie's it was soon time for the four course meal. I cannot remember the last time I ate a four-course meal, I'm not sure I've ever eaten a four course meal, maybe on a cruise once. If I go out for dinner, I usually just eat dinner. Sometimes I may share appetizer with someone and then get dinner or sometimes I may get dinner and if I am not completely stuffed I'll order dessert, but never four courses.
Course one was was potato leek soup with croissants (fabulous, of course I'm biased because I peeled the potatoes with Michael). I'm not a soup person, but I quite enjoyed it. Course two was also delightful, which was a mixed green salad with a french vinagrette and a cheese tart. I was nearly full by this time so thankfully we had a time to digest in between courses two and three. Course three, the main course, was chicken with some type of sauce (it had lots of butter, but I forget what it was called, it was good though!) served with mini potatoes and asparagus. Dessert a.k.a. course four was a chocolate mousse. Chef Natalie informed that the meal contained four sticks of butter--and there were 6 1/2 people eating it (I say 6 1/2 people because Spencer didn't eat a full out 4 course meal so can I count him as half a person for this or is that just plain rude?) Hmm...good thing I didn't have any doctor's appointments scheduled immediately following that meal. I was so incredibly full I couldn't even finish the tasty dessert wine. I've heard talk of food comas and wonder if I was experiencing one. It was an absolutely delicious meal though. Much gratitude to the chef even though I may have gained 100 pounds after eating all that. :)

3 comments:

jess said...

i should be featured in that exhibit. because i am afraid of being afraid of so many things...

Natalie said...

Both of those pictures of me are horrible. Maybe you should mention that part of the weather exhibit was hurricane strength wind and it really did a number on my hair.

Cat said...

Sorry, I probably should have asked permission to post you. :( You do NOT look horrible though.