Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Professional Painter I Am NOT

I decided to paint my kitchen the other day. I painted my cabinets last week, but aside from that the only things I've painted are small decorations like frames and ceramics at those places where you can go and paint pottery and then the place puts it in a kiln for you and a week later you have a piece of pottery that hopefully looks halfway decent. I am no expert painter, but I enjoy doing those things. I do simple designs and usually don't spill on my clothes, though my hands and the table covering tend to be a mess. I was not terribly thrilled about painting my kitchen, but what the heck, it's cheaper than hiring someone and I have to learn sometime, right? Well, I think the only thing I really learned is that I'm not very good at painting. The walls were a peachish color and I wasn't too crazy about it at first, but it started to grow on me so I figured I'd go with the peach family, however, now the walls look pink. I tried the sample under different lighting, etc and it looked like a light peach. It was called pale sand or something like that, but now that it's done, it looks pink. Is a pink kitchen acceptable? Are people going to make fun of me? I'm not sure I've ever seen a pink kitchen before. I wanted something light because there is only one window and there is brown woodwork, but I thought white would be too much white since the cabinets are white. I guess it doesn't matter too much if other people are anti-pink as long as I can deal with it, right? Was that rude? So getting beyond the pink, I did okay spackling and taping, but I didn't tape the ceiling. Stupid, right? I somehow managed to get a couple of spots on the ceiling and not right at the edge either, but a few inches away from the wall. How does one do that??? So I followed the directions to wipe it off and did it work? NO! It made it worse so now instead of a couple of small spots I have big streaky spots. UGH! Did I mention I'm hiring someone to do the living room and probably my bedroom? My mom came over today and told me it doesn't look that bad, but I think she has to say that since she's my mom. Perhaps if I didn't want people to notice the pink/peach spots on my ceiling I shouldn't have blogged about it. So if you ever come over, please don't look at my kitchen ceiling and if you do look at it when I'm not looking, please refrain from telling me there are peach/pink streaks on it. Thanks!

1 comment:

jess said...

you can do it!! you can always touch up spots later! plus you can use the money you save by not hiring painters to throw a big housewarming party :D