Friday, July 16, 2010

Sox, Rockies, Parking Problems and Tar

When I planned my Colorado trip I was "wicked" excited to find out the Red Sox were playing the Rockies the week I was going to be there so I begged my brother to get tickets for us, which he kindly did. Unfortunately, I did not realize we would be rooting for opposite teams. We almost didn't get to root for either team. We went to a parking garage, paid the money, and drove around, but could not find a single free spot so we went back and complained to the attendant who told us there was one space left. So we went back just in time to watch someone else pull in to the one remaining space. We went back to the attendant (not an easy task since my brother had to turn a big truck around in a space that was barely big enough to turn a compact car around in) and told the attendant the space was gone so she told us we could sit there until 6:00 until some people got out of work (apparently, she did not understand that we were starving--remember we hadn't had lunch because we'd been walking the horse poop trails--and I was a huge tourist and wanted to see the whole Sox vs Rockies game). We peeked for spaces again, unsuccessfully of course, and she finally agreed to let us have our money back. We found another garage that really had spots, popped into an Irish pub for "dinnah" (full of Boston accents) and then raced to the game where I found out my brother was not only a Rockies fan, but he was "that guy," the one everyone complains about that's always standing up and yelling and trying to start cheers (okay, cheering is good, but not for the wrong team so often and it works better when people join you). It was an intense, but good game. Tons of Sox fans mixed in because they go everywhere. Lots of back and forth with the scores. It didn't start off well though, the first inning took 45 minutes (you can probably guess who was pitching). The game went into extra innings and lasted over four hours. Amazingly, after all that screaming my brother still had a voice (and he forgot to go get a free taco that he screamed about). Oh, and the Sox won (thanks to Predroia) so that made me happy. :) My brother: not so happy, but he was even less happy when he got home and found "my niece" aka his dog covered in tar and had to give her a bath at midnight. Nice way to end his evening huh?

No comments: