Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Dogs, Mexican Restaurants, Two-Year-Olds, and Potatoes













I had several things I felt like blogging about today, but vacation seems to make me the happiest. :) I quite enjoyed Arizona. Natalie made sure I drank lots of water and a slushee. Or is it slushy? I'm too lazy to look it up. I've blogged about various parts of AZ all ready so I'll try not to be too redundant. My first day involved meeting Ginger (a delightful dog who I've heard lots about) and touring Tucson (fun to see). I've never had a pet, but I spent a bit of time with two pretty well-behaved dogs on my southwest trip and I started thinking, maybe I'd like a dog. Then I remembered that for a good part of the year, I'm gone for 10 hours a day and the dog might not like that (or maybe he/she would) and I would absolutely hate to pick up poop and if the dog woke me up early on a weekend morning when I desperately wanted to sleep late I'd probably get really cranky. Oh, and I just bought a condo so I can't really afford a dog right now, but if it would sleep in late on the weekends and I could deal with the poop perhaps some day I may become a dog person...Anyway, per usual I am babbling off topic. So while in Arizona, Natalie told me I needed to have "real Mexican food" (I guess our NH kind is fake???). It was quite good and the restaurant was fun. They had people that would come over and serenade you, but I was told not to look at them because if they came over you were supposed to give them a big tip. So I kept sneaking looks at them, they caught me looking when I was walking to the bathroom so I was afraid they might come over and it would be really embarassing to have someone sing to me as I walked to the bathroom, but I quickly looked away and they did not follow me to the bathroom. At dinner I ordered a margarita and it was the size of my head--and affordable, which was amazing. I am sad to say that I could not finish it. :( Following the restaurant, we went to a bar where we had lots of laughs and good conversation. We also saw a pair of cougars, a cowboy, met a lovely pregnant waitress (God bless her, I would not want that job while pregnant), and we think the valet guys might have been trying to hit on us. It was a good night out. And I must say at 11:00 at night in June, the weather in Tucson is quite pleasant. The next day we toured Sabino (sp?) Canyon. I was afraid we'd be attacked by a mountain lion since there were many signs posted saying to beware of them, but instead we saw some deer. If you look really closely at one of the many pictures I attempted to take of them, you can actually see them. I'm not sure why I felt the need to do this as I've seen deer many times before. One summer there were even a bunch at my house, but nonethless I attempted many pictures. They just weren't in the mood to pose for them. :-p I also had to take a million pictures of the Arizona vegetation because it seemed like the touristy thing to do. The rest of the day was fun (who knew french fries with ranch dressing and bacon could be so good?!), I learned about Native Americans and saw some pretty cool ruins, and of course the Tom Mix Monument. Natalie, Michael, their two-year-old son and I went to the pool when we got back to their house. We were all having fun in the pool, but Spencer (their son) wanted nothing to do with me for quite a while. I could totally understand that as to him I was a stranger, but then suddnely an hour or so later he decided I was cool and wanted to talk to me and play in the pool with me, show me his toys, etc. I realize I am probably a huge dork for being happy to get a two-year-old's approval, but it was the cutest thing. Of course when I saw him a week later, he really didn't think I was so cool any more so it was short-lived, but such is life. Oh, yes, and that was the night of the potato-peeling. Michael and I peeled potatoes while Natalie made one of the courses for her upcoming four course meal. (Does that count as helping to make dinner? Can I say I helped with one of the courses? Probably not) That dinner might just have to get a blog of its own. All for now. More vacation babbling coming soon.



P.S. Does anyone know how I can move my pictures so they're not all at the top?

1 comment:

Natalie said...

OMG. So many things to comment on. 1st of all, when you look at the box where you are composing your post there is something that says "edit HTML". If you click on that you can put the curser at that very top to leave a space. Then you can put text in between pictures. Then you can also fix the spacing on the pictures since every new picture you load leaves a bigger gap. You just have to be extra careful because when you accidentally delete HTML code it's a bitch to fix.

The "serenaders" at the restaurant are mariachi's. If you don't have those in NH then your Mexican food is not real. Simple rule :)

I totally forgot about the pregnant lady. She was wearing heels too.

Don't worry about Spencer taking you into the inner circle and then kicking you out. I'm his mother and most days he just barely tolerates my existence. I tell him I love him and he says, "I just like you mommy. I do just like you too."