Saturday, July 21, 2012

2 Down 50 To Go (a.k.a. Melt in Your Mouth Chocolate Cupcakes)

So I made my second "dish" for a recent cook-out.  As you can guess from the title, I made cupcakes.  I have made cupcakes many times, but not this kind.  I bought a cookbook at a work fundraiser a few years ago and I've tried a few recipes in it, but not this one.  This one was called Melt In Your Mouth Chocolate Cupcakes.  So they're chocolate cupcakes, but here's the catch they have zucchini in them (they also have chocolate chips).  To some people, that probably sounds weird, but I have made zucchini bread before and it's really good to me zucchini in cupcakes though a little strange didn't seem completely out there.  The frosting was a raspberry concoction.  It was your usual sugar, etc, but it also had raspberry jam in it.  I'm not a huge raspberry fan, but it wasn't bad.  Hmm, can this count as two things since I made the cupcakes AND the frosting?  :-)  The cupcakes were decent, not my favorite dessert, but not bad.  They were soft, but a bit like a muffin texture.  I brought them to a cook-out I went to the other day and people seemed to enjoy them.  Also, funny story about the cupcakes, when I went to make them it was after 9:00 and I was moving right along, when I realized I was out of milk.  I drink milk every day and I thus buy it every week so it's rare that this house doesn't have milk in it, but sure enough I'd run out the day before and forgotten to pick some up at the grocery store 3-4 hours prior.  Well, it was now nearly 10:00 and I was in the middle of cupcake making and what's a girl to do.  Well, my awesome finance reluctantly I mean kindly went to the grocery store (the only one still open at that hour) and bought me a gallon of milk despite the fact that he was exhausted and it was bed time for him so I could finish my cupcakes.  What a guy hee hee (see honey, I said something nice about you).   This might not seem like a big deal except that about three or four weeks ago while making strawberry pizza for a family party, I ran out of condensed milk at 10:30 at night (think maybe I should bake EARLIER in the day?) so guess who went to the grocery store for me then?  Yep.  Note to self:  check cabinets and fridge before assuming you have all ingredients (even if you "always" have them in stock.). Oh, as a side note, I had a few cupcakes left over so I shared those with a friend the other day and she liked them too.  So I guess the cupcakes were a success.  Do you think we can count them as healthy since they have a vegetable in them?  Hey, can't blame me for trying. 

1 comment:

Natalie said...

If you have never made raspberry jam frosting before, then it totally counts as a separate recipe. See? You already have 3! I think zucchini in a cupcake is totally sane. Just don't mix it with the potato cake because that is way too many vergetables in 1 cake.