Monday, July 9, 2012

My Four (or 5, 6, or 7) Moms

In case the title has you going, what the heck, let me set the record straight by saying technically I have one wonderful mother.  Sure we drive each other crazy at times, but she's a good mom and we're fairly close.  I could do without some of her letter-boxing and she could do without some of my complaning, but no one's perfect...Anyway, I just had to get that out there so you don't think the reason I have 4 or 5, 6, or 7 moms is because there's something wrong with my mom, there's not.  So anyway, biological wonderful mom is mom number one.  But I also have my work moms (or my former work moms since they had to go and retire on me).  For several years, I worked with two wonderful women who were old enough to be my mother.  In fact, one of them even graduated from high school with my father (small world!).  So I used to joke that they were my work moms and they joked that I was their work daughter.  I even went so far as getting a Mother's Day card for them once.  They constantly looked out for me, worried about me, listened to me talk about work problems, family problems, relationship problems, and house-hunting problems as well as shared my joy when I found a house, got engaged, and various other happy moments.  Since they've retired I don't see them as much as I used to, but we try to get together every few months to hang out and catch up.  And of course we e-mail.  Recently, I acquired a new mother.  Earlier in the week, I went out to breakfast and then shopping with some other former co-workers.  For several years the three of us worked together every July.  The program where we worked has since gone out of business due to lack of funds, but the three of us still get together and have a good time.  However, there is as bit of an age difference between us.  Since, I'm not sure they want their ages and names posted all over a blog, I'll just refer to them as S and K.  I am the youngest, K is 12 years older than me and S is 10 or 11 years older than K.  So yeah, kind of random to have such a big age difference between us and we're all certainly at different places re: life experiences, but we still have a good time.  Anyway, a couple of weeks ago, the three of us went out to breakfast and then decided at the last minute to go shopping.  While we were shopping, S was looking for shoes and the woman who helped her asked if she was shopping with her daughters.  Well, technically, I was young enough to be her daughter, but for K to be her daughther she'd have had to have her at age 11, just a "little" young to be having a child.  Anyway, since that day I've been jokingly referring to S as my mom whenever the opportunity presents itself--and by opportunity presenting itself I of course mean, I've sent her messages that I didn't need to referring to her as Mom.  :)  I'm a pain, what can I say.  Moms 5,6,  and 7 are a reference to my younger days when I'd be at certain friends houses frequently (and they'd be at my house too) so we joked that they were like second moms to me and in some instances my mom was like a second mother to them.  One of those moms used to baby-sit me regularly and through that I became good friends with some of her daughters.  So there ya' go, those are my 4 (or 5, 6, or 7) moms. 

2 comments:

Megan said...

Your mom letterboxes?

Cat said...

Yes, do you know what that is?