Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The Irony

The week my fiance proposed I was on vacation (Christmas break) so no one at work knew I was engaged.  BTW in case you're wondering why I almost never refer to my fiance by his name, my reasoning is a little twisted, especially since most of my blog-readers have met him, but I feel weird mentioning people by name in my blog w/o their permission.  He knows I blog and he knows he's been mentioned in them, but he's not big into blogging (he just doesn't get the whole blogging thing, I think he might think it's a little strange, though he's never specifically said it.  He doesn't really like to write so the idea of writing a blog is so not his "cup of tea" or in his case "cup of mountain dew"--one of his favorite sodas), so I've gotten in the habit of not mentioning most people by name in my blog and it just kind of stuck with him too.  Yeah, I'm weird, what can I say?  Okay so back to work...so no one at work knew and I didn't tell them the day I went back to work.  In retrospect, my reasoning might have been a little weird, but the reason was, I didn't have the ring, okay, that's not entirely true. I had the ring, but it was too big, it needed to be resized.  And what's the first thing most people ask you after they congratulate you (unless you're on the phone of course), "can I see the ringt?" So I figured I would wait until I had the correctly sized ring before I told my colleagues.  Strangely enough, almost every year, after Christmas vacation, at least one person at work asks me if I got a ring for Christmas?  I always said no and got a little annoyed with the question every year.  Seriously, why did people have to keep asking?  Well, go figure the one year it happens, no one asks.  The irony.  A few days later I got the ring resized and wore it to work.  No one noticed!  Okay, that might seem normal to you, BUT some of these people notice if I have a new shirt or a new necklace or if my shoes nicely match my shirt.  I was even standing around a lot with my hand on my cheek, tapping my fingers on things, etc and still nothing.  I couldn't believe it, these ladies notice everything.  I went to go tell a colleague who works right next to me, but she had just gotten some bad news so I didn't have the heart to be like "oh, I'm sorry, by the way I just got engaged, so I expressed my sympathies and left it at that--I told her later and she said I totally should have shared my good news and not worried about being non-pc.  Anyway, I ended up telling one of my colleages who I'm pretty close with at lunch time and she was happy/excited, but she too was shocked that no one else at work noticed/knew so she dragged me to the other end of the buildign to show the ladies I work most closely with and they were all, "I can't believe you didn't tell us" and I was all, "I can't believe you notice everything and didn't see the ring."  One woman did say she thought she saw a new ring, but wasn't completely certain.  Well, word travels fast at my work, so before long it seemed like half the world new, people were popping by to congratulate me, offer hugs, etc.  One of the secretaries even felt the need to put it in our work annoucements that week.  I'm not big on being the center of attention, but I will admit it was nice to hear such nice words from my colleages.  We're often so busy at work, we barely have time to talk to each other about non-work stuff.

No comments: