Thursday, July 26, 2012

A Blog That is Months Overdue

So this seems a little late to be writing about something that happened months ago, but let me explain my thinking.  I've been blogging about my new recipes lately, which is good because it's keeping me on track to make new things.  However, it also means I haven't been doing a good job of thinking about what other topics to blog about.  So when I got home from work today I came on-line to check my e-mail, specifically a wedding related e-mail and of course to blog.  Well, guess what?  An idea was born.  I've never blogged about any wedding planning stuff so you can guess what's coming on those days when I can't think of a blog topic?  So be warned, if you do not like reading about wedding stuff, just stop right here and I'll see you next time. 
Oh, you're still there?  Okay, well, having never been engaged before, I'm finding this whole wedding planning process is quite a learning experience.  It's also a fun (sometimes stressful) and of course an expensive experience too.  :-p   So let's start with the early learnings...Many of my friends have told me their boyfriends (soon to be fiances) have tried to plan some nice romantic something or other for their girlfriends only to have the girl mess things up (unintentionally of course).  Well, that was me.  My boyfriend and I didn't have plans one night and we talked about doing dinner.  Long story short a friend of ours was home from the Air Force (who had recently gotten divorced and told me all about that about the day I ended up getting engaged--talk about timing).  Anyway, my friend invited us to his sister's house for dinner.  I was up for it as it meant I wouldn't have to cook and we could save money by not going out to eat.  I'd just make a dessert and my friend asked us to pick up a bottle of wine.  Well, the bf  was not too happy about this because it messed up his plan to propose.  Of course he couldn't say anything about this because it would ruin the surprise.  He really didn't want to go to dinner and I was not happy. I thought he was just being grouchy and didn't feel well.  I kid you not, when I walked into my family room and saw him crouched over, I thought he was having severe stomach pains, I didn't realize he was getting down on one knee to propose (Yeah, I'm smart huh?).  Well, he ended up proposing right before we went to dinner.  I said yes, but you knew that all ready.  :)   And then I understood why he was so grouchy.  I was all, omg what do we do?  Well, he said we should still go to dinner (since I'd messed up his plans to take me out for a nice, dinner, oops) since we were about to be late.  But of course I had to tell someone.  So I did the "right thing" (I hope) and called my mom.  She was a little surprised, but not completely shocked as the bf had told her he wanted to propose to me soon.  She thought it wasn't going to happen this soon though (mind you we'd been together for 6 years so it's not like this was coming out of nowhere and he had been asking me about rings a while ago, but it was still a surprise to me as I wasn't expecting it yet).  Anyway, after telling Mom, figured I'd better tell Dad so she passed the phone to him--let's just say he wasn't as excited as mom, men!  Well, then we left the house, picked up a bottle of wine as we were instructed to do so by my friend (the whole time I was at the store, I kept looking at my ring like a big ol' dork) and then I called two friends on the way to my friend's house (and no, I didn't cell phone and drive, the bf--I mean fiance--it took me a few weeks to get used to saying fiance instead of bf--was driving).  Funnily, enough when I called one of my friends she thought for sure I was calling to ask her husband to fix something that was broken in my house (he's done that for me twice).  She was pleasantly surprised.  I instructed everyone NOT to post anything on Facebook and then it was dinner time.  So no more calls.  I was a little hesistant to tell Matt (my Air Force friend) since he'd just gotten divorced, but he was a good sport about it (and shocked that it had happened in the two hours since I'd seen him).  His sister was getting married in a few months so she was excited for me and we discussed typical wedding stuff a bit.  They also popped some champagne for us.  So even though we didn't get quite the evening my fiance wanted we had a good night with friends, good food (dinner and dessesrt), champagne, Scattegories, and lots of laughs.  And hey, it'll make a good story to tell the grandkids one day.  Okay so that blog really had nothing to do with specific planning, but those'll come in future blogs I'm sure.  Today's blog is long enough all ready.  :) 

No comments: