Monday, July 23, 2012

To Italy and Beyond

For as long as I can remember, I've enjoye traveling.  I blame this on my parents.  :-)  Almost every year from as far back as I can remember until I graduated from high school we went on vacation.  Actually, most years we would do two vacations, one to Nova Scotia to visit my grandfather and then one elsewhere.  We went to typical places and some random places.  Trips included:  Disney World  and other parts of Florida, (twice), Virginia, Virginia again and Washington D.C., New York City, New York (various parts of the state), Toronoto, Prince Edward Island, Montreal, San Francisco, the UK, Tennessee, New Jersey, Las Vegas/Arizona...you get the idea.  Anyway, I continued to enjoy traveling whether it was trips to Nova Scotia post-high school, traveling in college and graduate school, and traveling now in my adult life.  The "problem" is the more I go places I seem to want to go to more places.  You would think after going somewhere my list of "places I want to go to" would shrink, but that doesn't always happen.  For example, when I was in Belize, someone was telling me all about Costa Rica (not on my list) and got me thinking, hmm, maybe I'd like to go there some day.  Talking about traveling can also cause the list to grow.  I knew almost nothing about Iceland, but some conversations with a friend of mine, led me to want to go there.  And now I'm reading Eat Pray Love (mostly because I wanted to see the movie and then heard it was a book so figured may as well read the book before I see the movie).  Anyway, in the first 1/3 of the book, the author is in Italy.  I've always had an interest in going there.  My fiance loved it, friends of mine have loved it, my parents talk about wanting to go there, my future in-laws enjoyed it, but now after reading this first 1/3 of the book, I really want to go to Italy.  Instead of just touring through Europe (like I originally wanted to do with a stop in Italy), I think I want to do a trip just to Italy for a few weeks.  Of course it's not like I can afford all these trips, but some day...Remind me not to read any books that take place in Antarctica, though I'm pretty sure I couldn't handle the cold so I'm not likely to want to venture there.

No comments: